Back in the early 80s I lived in San Jose,CA & edited a little music 'zine called EAT POOP!. We used to get crazy DIY music from all over the world thanks to continued mention in Factsheet Five. One of the freebies we got was 1981s Shinjuku Birdwalk by Karen Copper Complex
I believe it is the only album by this avant rock band. KCC evolved from Richmond, Virginia bands Big Naptar, Titfield Thunderbolt, & I Saw a Bulldozer. The music is a minimalistic mix of beatniks atmosphere, free jazz techniques, & The Art of Walking era Pere Ubu songs with Karen Cooper replacing David Thomas. Her vocals aren't wordless, but the lyrics are loose & freaky. The music consists mainly of scratching guitars, free & primitive with touches of vintage NY No Wave, child-like drum rhythm sounds & rudimentary electronic effects.
On Shinjuku Birdwalk, The Complex is: Karen Cooper / voices (I Saw a Bulldozer); Frank Daniel / guitar (Big Naptar); Bill Altice / guitar (Big Naptar & I Saw a Bulldozer); Burt Blackburn / bass (replaced Steve Bernard after the first sessions); Les Smith / guitar; Bo Jacob / drums, percussion (Titfield Thunderbolt); Steve Bernard / bass (Big Naptarr & I Saw a Bulldozer); & Wm. Burke / electronics (Titfield Thunderbolt & I Saw a Bulldozer)
The group broke up without ever performing live because of Karen's pregnancy (she'd married the guitarist Les Smith).
Just found the original the other day while going through a box of EP! relics.
You Can't Have It
Shinjuku Birdwalk
We Saw Waves
The Boy with the Red Guitar
Heads (in the Other Room)
Lollipops
Simmer Down
Jerkin' Pretty
Beeswax
Flip-Kilter
Ruckus Upstairs
Petit Deja Vu
Enjoy,
NØ


Shinjuku Birdwalk
ReplyDeletefo2TyR200bCN5AvORjmsbrk0k_mBUY6nW96i8M2hIzQ