On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

08 December 2021

Draft Dodging Days - A Naterock Sampler Part 4

 

The less said about these years the better, I think. 

 



 

As I stuck out my thumb on the berm of I90 heading west one more time, I knew that I wasn't yet a fugitive. It was several days before I was scheduled to report for military duty & then when I was a no-show, it would take the Selective Service just a few weeks to issue a Federal warrant. I had maybe three weeks tops before this whole standing out on the edge of the roadway in plain sight for any Johnny Law, hitch-hiking, which was quasi-legal to down-right illegal depending in which particular bailiwick I might find myself would no longer be safe.

So I set my sight for Scott's Bluff, Nebraska. I knew two ex-high school buddies that were going to Hiram Scott College there (Whalebait & Lucas). Whalebait's place was a cool crash pad, but the sheer volume of people & dope passing through there seemed less than low profile. Lucas, on the other hand, was the anti-social type. He had a leather shop in town. It seemed perfect. I hooked up with him & he gave me a place to crash in his shop. Spare room with bathroom & shower, a hot plate in his work area. It was perfect. 

 



I hung around Scott's Bluff for a few months, I helped Lucas around his shop, cleaning up mostly, but also learning a little about leather work. It never hurts to have a trade. I gradually made acquaintance with some of Whalebait's more level-headed associates & started earning some decent dinero moving some of their organics. In February 72, a friend of Bait's approached me with an offer I couldn't refuse. He had a quantity of magic mushrooms he needed deliver to some folks in California. Wanted to know if I was the guy for gig.

I flew in to San Francisco two weeks later & for the next few years I just traveled from San Francisco to Flagstaff to Boston to Scott's Bluff to Taos to San Francisco...well, you get the picture. I had some fake ID that was pretty thin if it had to undergo heavy scrutiny but I kept under the radar, so no problems. I was David Williams until the first days of 1977. 

 

 

K-Tel Records presents... A Naterock Sampler, NØ Comps, 2021.
Vol. 4 - End of College Safety/Draft Dodging Days 1972-1976
decryption codes in comments

Part One -
1972
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Alice Cooper - Luney Tune
Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Tim Buckley - Sweet Surrender
David Bowie - Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
War - The World is a Ghetto
1973
New York Dolls -  Looking for a Kiss
Brian Eno - Baby's on Fire
Iggy & the Stooges - Gimme Danger
Blue Oyster Cult - Od'd on Life Itself
1974
Hawkwind - Lost Johnny
Funkadelic - Alice in My Fantasies/I'll Stay
Frank Zappa - Cosmik Debris
David Bowie - We are the Dead/1984
New York Dolls - Chatterbox
Parliament - All Your Goodies are Gone

Part Two -
1975
U-Roy - Trench Town Rock
Burning Spear - Slavery Days
Nazareth - Beggar's Day
David Bowie - Win
Lee Perry & the Upsetters - Doctor on the Go
Patti Smith - Birdland/Free Money
1976
David Bowie - Wild is the Wind
Patti Smith Group - Pissing in a River
Parliament - Children of Production
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Ramones - Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
The Runaways - Dead End Justice
Ramones - Beat on the Brat
Bunny Wailer - Armigideon (Armagedon)
Max Romeo - War ina Babylon
Patti Smith Group - Ask the Angels

Next in the series: Vol. 5 - Proclamation 4483/Just in time for PUNK 1977-1979
Enjoy,

5 comments:

  1. Another great chapter with another great soundtrack. Take away the reggae/dub here and you've got the essence of my early 70s music library in college (mixed in with contemporary 80s punk/indie rock and 60s psych of course). Eno, Bowie, Patti Smith, Dolls, Hawkwind, and yes Runaways too! I guess good music defies time, space, and gravity; Maybe there are kids today turning on, tuning in, dropping out and gettin' down to some of the same music? These series of N0 comps would certainly be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of takedowns, there are now decryption codes.
      Pt 1
      s7wm_jSJ7rt42UUXkLLeSZ-0nAnu_vQ7TIkkSxtSgJs
      Pt 2
      NPHGe7x7jwM7IsK2nW3I-CWqaoGEylOIP9yGrzJE8Ps

      Delete
  2. I still hold out hope that there are kids today turning on, tuning in, dropping out and gettin' down to some of the same music. If true, it bodes well for all our future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link says that the file is no longer available :(

    ReplyDelete