On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

13 December 2021

Black Dahlia Time - A Naterock Sampler Part 6

 

I was well into the New Year's celebration. I was having a great time. I was definitely feeling no pain. Just as everyone at the party counted down to midnight, out of the revelry appeared the most beautiful woman I had seen in my life. Olive-skinned with deep dark smiling eyes & hair past her waist, she sidled up to me & three...two...one...Happy New Year! She planted the sweetest of kisses on my lips & laughed. Happy New Year. 



That was how the Black Dahlia walked into my life. We've been together ever since. We married in October 1981. Our only daughter, Lao Elanya was born May 30, 1983. To say that everything changed in my life is the greatest of understatements. But the change was purely positive. & the greatest thing about our relationship is that Black Dahlia was perfect as she was & she has never tried in any way to change me. So the changes that occurred in our lives were mutual discovery & inspirational learning.

She has her own likes in music & introduced me to many artists that I was unaware of. She never stopped me from listening to the more extreme music that I enjoyed. She never limited my searching for that 'perfect' song. In fact she helped me in my search. 

 



During this period I got a job at Oak Tree Leather, a small hand-crafting leather shop run by a Scientology couple. I put the skills I had learned at my fiend Lucas' shop in Scott's Bluff to good use & gained new skills on the job. After Lao was a few months old, Dahlia decided she wanted to go back to work. She had a great job as a restaurant manager at a local health food restaurant. She made more money than I did at my job, so I became house husband & took over the daily household duties & the general care of our daughter. This arrangement gave me even more time for music.

MMR magazine had sprung from Tim Yohannon's Maximunrocknroll radio show on KPFA in Berkeley in 1982. So now there was somewhere I could turn to read about or even order new music. It was the beginning  of the era of  'zines. Factsheet Five was just around the corner. Alternative music & print were heading for a collision. I was getting ready. 

 

K-Tel Records presents...Naterock Sampler, NØ Comps, 2021.
Vol 6 - Black Dahlia Time 1980-1983
decryption codes in comments

Part One -

1980
Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles
The Comsat Angels - Missing in Action
X - Johnny Hit & Run Paulene
The Clash - Police on My Back
The Cramps - Tear it Up
Stiff Little Fingers - No Change
The Nuns - Media Control
Vapors - Bunkers
1981
T.S.O.L. - Abolish Government / Silent Majority
The Birthday Party - King Ink
Black Flag - TV Party
The Exploited - I Believe in Anarchy
Gang of Four - What We All Want

Part Two -

1982
Bad Brains - Banned in DC
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Slowdive
Descendents - Suburban Home
The Dream Syndicate - Some Kinda Itch (live)
The Clash - Ghetto Defendant
Flipper - Way of the World
The Gun Club - Run Through the Jungle
Sparks - Tarzan & Jane
Mission of Burma - That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate
Bad Brains - Leaving Babylon
1983
Cleaners from Venus - Sandstorm in Paradise
D.O.A. - Burn it Down
Dicks - Rich Daddy
Minor Threat - Think Again
Sad Lovers & Giants - In Flux

Last in this series: Vol. 7 - 1984 'til EAT POOP!/Nuff said 1984-1987

Enjoy,

10 comments:

  1. A beautiful love story, and some beautiful leatherwork.

    I stayed home with the younger of my two sons, and will always treasure that experience.

    Great tunes! "That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate" still gives me a visceral thrill, almost 40 years later. And that groove from "What We All Want" often gets stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of take-downs, there are now decryption codes.
      Pt 1
      mlNAh4GFy337t0u2f-CicpSKNbHey8C0Nk1U0yfdDl0
      Pt 2
      3fRzX0N0ZTl4VmIjecs4ZzBomaYQcLvY090gIFtNG0w

      Delete
  2. Yes, what he ^ said: a most beautiful love story and lovely leatherwork! That's really amazing and wonderful. Our timelines have finally fully collided in our respective back stories! We probably both listened to some of these at the same time. Generic Flipper, Bad Brains, Dream Syndicate, and Descendants were all on heavy rotation when they came out. I used to see the Descendents all the time at the "Dancing Waters" club in San Pedro in their early years. Sadly I missed my chance to see any of the others here; would have been fantastic to see any of them live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I am most thankful for is having the opportunity to have seen so many great acts live. Having seen Flipper is such a different thing from just listening to Flipper, no matter how great the album might be. That was one of the things I learned from my first live show that I tried to carry with me ever onward.

      Delete
  3. Actually I did see the Flag a bunch of times too but only after Henry joined them and they were more or less a vehicle for Greg Ginn's noodling and Henry's strutting around like an angry Mick Jagger. Still a good show but I liked all their pre-Damaged output much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree whole-heartedly. Dez Flag is so much better than Henry Flag.

      Delete
  4. Are you receiving me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Receiving you loud & clear my friend. So glad to hear from you once more. Keep transmitting. The signal is strong.

      Delete
  5. Both Links say that the file is no longer available :(

    ReplyDelete