On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

30 December 2021

John Mellor Goes Over the Border with Jimmy Cliff

 

After gifting Joe Strummer's London Calling BBC radio shows, I couldn't stop listening to more of Joe's own music. I revisited The Clash, The Mescaleros, The 101'ers, & everything else. I decided heading into the new year I would post some that I though you all might like to hear.

First is Joe giving us that good old Eathquake Weather, then a few bootleg releases: When Pigs Fly (a previously unreleased soundtrack LP); Outtakes & Rarities; & the fantastic Collaborations.

Spend some time with Joe, it will be well worth the while & I'll hit you all again next year. 

 

Joe Strummer - Earthquake Weather, Epic EK 45372, 1989.
all decryption codes in comments


Gangsterville    
King of the Bayou    
Island Hopping    
Slant Six    
Dizzy's Goatee    
Shouting Street    
Boogie with Your Children
Leopardskin Limousines    
Sikorsky Parts    
Jewellers & Bums    
Highway One Zero Street    
Ride Your Donkey
Passport to Detroit    
Sleepwalk

bonus tracks -
Punk Rock Blues
15th Brigade
Cholo Vest
Baby O'Boogie
Mango Street 

 

 


Side One -
When Pigs Fly    
Pouring Rain    
Rose of Erin    
Ellis Island Line    
Phantom Country Fair    

Side Two -
Storm in a D-Cup    
Free at Last    
When Pigs Fly (instrumental)
Burning Lights (from I Hired a Contract Killer)    
Afro Cuban Be-Bop (from I Hired a Contract Killer)    
Victory Lane (from Dr Chance)    
Junco Partner (acoustic) 
 

War Cry
Yalla Yalla
15th Brigade - these come from the mid-nineties period prior to the creation of The Mescaleros.  

Louisiana Turnpike
Search Party
Plymouth Roadrunner
Outta Space
Detour
Japanese Cars
Nameless
Cholo Vest - these are the songs deleted from the Permanent Record OST as Joe had intended it.

Brand New Cadillac - encore from the Hollywood Palladium Pretenders show on Nov. 11,1994.
 
 
 

Generations (with Electric Dog House)
Salsa y Ketchup (with Zander Schloss)
Yalla Yalla (Norro's King Dub)
Return of the Blues Cowboy (with Jools Holland)
Straight Shooter (with Latino Rockabilly War)
Over the Border (with Jimmy Cliff)
Redemption Song (with Jimmy Cliff)
Living in the Flood (with Horace Andy)
The Harder They Come (with The Long Beach All Stars)
Just the One (with The Levellers)
Time & a Tide (with the Mescaleros)
Turkish Song of the Damned (with the Pogues)
Ocean of Dreams (with Steve Jones)
Let’s Get a Bit of Rockin' (with the 101'ers)
Ride Your Donkey (with Latino Rockabilly War)
Guitar Slinger (with Brian Setzer)
MacDougall Street Blues (with Jack Kerouac)
Junco Partner (with Billy Bragg)
Rockets Galore (with Mikey Dread)
Ghetto Defendant (with Allen Ginsberg)

Enjoy,


15 comments:

  1. For some reason the Clash have never clicked with me though so many of their contemporaries did. Maybe Joe's other work will work better for me. Worth a try anyway so thank you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthquake Weather
      PFq9rKWZqPaoggL7xNq_PvesLuI9TpqKEz_X-8E1Em4
      When Pigs Fly
      f5QoDgEBR65SOeFAgunEWT6tD4Wz9WCWS-Q4iBqMSWI
      Outakes & Rarities
      IiCa1TM5Q6Zeo5HUmsXmxs8_9_31KjsTNyMMTOFwDjo
      Collaborations
      YAb5jgvGxdaZd_QYkUueB8r51cKWEbyzJAlf_syvx-w

      Delete
  2. Not to be judgemental, but whether or not someone likes the Clash has a great deal to say for their underlying life ethos. When Joe sez things like: ''I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist, & we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance'', he's talking about the music he makes, the way he treats other folks, the way he acts in the privacy of his own home. The Clash & all things onward for Joe were ways of expressing these beliefs for all to share & hopefully pass on to others. ''The way you get a better world is, you don't put up with substandard anything.'' Joe's motto was always, ''What's the hurry? I'm trying to get it across to the modern world that we need to sit around and think a little bit more.''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disagree! It's the medium not the message that doesn't click with me. I completely agree and firmly support the ethos and sentiments he ascribes to his work in his quotes above, but the music just leaves me cold. I've probably heard "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock the Casbah" too many times coming of age in the MTV era but "White Riot," "Clash City Rockers," "London Calling" and the rest don't do anything for me either. On the other hand, "Train in Vain" is one of my favorite songs but I'm not sure that even counts. Musical preferences aside, here's to conducting ourselves in a manner reflecting Joe's ethos and working towards a Better World -- one that is anti-fascist, anti-violence, anti-racist, anti-ignorance, and pro-creative! Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the rant. I guess I misunderstood. I just assumed that the music itself was never an issue. From the early squat days of their self-titled debut to the breaking-out days of London Calling to the anti-music-business middle finger yet sublime universality of Sandinista to the well-everyone-should-be-able-to-get-it-now Combat Rock, the Clash’s short but targeted path of musical progression combined attitude, intelligence, & superb musicality for the World stage.

      But everyone’s musical tastes vary across the spectrum of sound. My comment is simply my own opinion. It’s kinda like I feel about the same toward those dismissive of the Clash as I do toward those who refuse a toke on a joint...I get it but I just don’t trust them. I am glad, however, that we can discuss these topics with civility & politeness.

      Thanks for keeping the dialogue running.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for that.Love that Man and his Music.
    Happy New Year.stay healthy.
    Greatings from Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of support for Joe. I too love that man & his music. Have a great new year.

      Delete
  4. more amazing stuff; very grateful for what you share and how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tho I'll cop that the links don;t seem to get me anywhere...metaphor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not sure I get the metaphor part, but if you are having trouble with the links, I just checked & they are working fine. You just have to cut & paste the decryption code when prompted. Any further problems, let me know or enlighten me as to the metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. problem on my end, now happily fixed; same can be said for the feeble attempt at humor with the metaphor business...flailing & failing is my bidness.

    Happy new year and thanks again for all the great music and words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got the links sorted. Flailin’ & failin’ is the biznezz of many of us these days, I would venture. Happy one to you as well.

      Delete
  8. I believe track 18 Junco Partner with Billy Bragg on Collaborations is actually Billy with the Italian band The Gang - Thanks for all your passionate work as anything Strummer related is always welcomed and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. None of the links are working. They all say that the file is no longer available :(

    ReplyDelete