On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

22 April 2023

A Rage of Angels

I threatened jonder with a different opening here, but it was just shock talking. I'll be much gentler now that I've had time to let my rage out through the raging sounds of Mark Stewart. 

 



The Pop Group's guitarist/saxophonist Gareth Sager said in tribute: "Mark was the most amazing mind of my generation. RIP." 

& On-U Sound's Adrian Sherwood added: "Thank you my brother. You were the biggest musical influence in my life and our extended family will miss you so much. Love forever."

I can say no more. Let the music speak.

First up is a selection of some of my favorite tracks, for one reason or another, to start things off.


Rage of Angels
Instant Halo
Crawl Space
Dream Kitchen (unreleased 12“ version)
The Paranoia of Power
Survival
Zombie [Land]
Passivecation Program
Colour Blind
Fatal Attraction
Hysteria
Stranger
Don’t Ever Lay Down Your Arms
There are no Spectators
Rise Again

 

 

 

Mark Stewart - The Politics of Envy 2xCD, Future Noise FNMDX002, 2012.
decryption codes in comments

CD1 -

Vanity Kills
Autonomia
Gang War
Codex
Want
Gustav Says
Baby Bourgeois
Method to the Madness
Apocalypse Hotel
Letter to Hermione
Stereotype

Experiments EP -
Autonomia (Electro edit)
Robo Want Part 1
Robo Want Part 2
Letter Dub (The Dispossessed)
 
 
 
 
Mark Stewart - Exorcism of Envy, Future Noise FNMCD004, 2012.

Babycino - Mark Stewart
Sexorcist - Mark Stewart featuring Factory Floor & Keith Levene
Gustav Says Dub
Method to the Madness Dub
Codex Dub - Mark Stewart
Want Version - Mark Stewart featuring Factory Floor
Mirror Wars - Mark Stewart featuring Lee 'Scratch' Perry & Xacute
Letter (Full of Tears) - Mark Stewart featuring Keith Levene
Apocalypse Dub - Mark Stewart featuring Daddy G
Attack Dogs - Mark Stewart with Primal Scream
Killswitch - Mark Stewart featuring Kenneth Anger & Richard Hell

This is my letter, full of tears,

6 comments:

  1. Anger is Holy
    no code needed
    Politics Disc 1
    XBRIA4R9rpzxdZBKtJKxiAzQRA3b7RCQM7RIhVtldkQ
    Experiments EP
    dCzN92isofrb-bRtFcOxqUgO4qOfK6WR5X5C1iuhlzI
    Exorcism
    qeK7uYE5LTI7osrSRtHfNSLDg-tX1NqdIUFBFey5rh0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. This really was a punch in the gut. For How Much Longer... along with This Heat's Deceit pretty much summed up my world view at the time. Honestly, much of what has happened in the world since has validated rather than diminish that outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, rev. Marks's words ring truer with each passing day. I picked No Spectators from FHMLDWTMM but it could just as well have been any other track. A truly formative album in my own trajectory.

    Also, I have Various - Myths, Instructions 1. from Sub Rosa slated up for May Day. It's got two tracks from The Camberwell Now.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZBALLS!!! (Stan Lee from the Dickies spelling...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks NØ, I hadn't heard of his passing. i've only been superficially aware of his work with Pop Group and his recent collaboration with Nun Gun (half of Algiers), but looking forward to exploring someone who has clearly kept things real interesting in the decades since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything that Mark did is impressive in my ears. The Nun Gun - Stealth Empire in Dub had some great tracks with Mark (& Adrian, too). If you have been listening to his work with Nun Gun then I think you'd be interested in checking out Mark's latest 2022 solo release VS. After the two solo releases from 2012 that I shared here he was involved in The Pop Group 2.0 quite heavily, recording & touring. Last year he returned with VS where he went versus the likes of KK Null, Front 242, Ye Gods, as well as Nun Gun & more.

    His passing weighs heavy on me. His anger was truly Holy.

    ReplyDelete