On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

06 October 2024

Burial Ceremonies...I See Distant Lights

Back in June when I was finishing up Musick that Needed Work - P, I shared some Pye Corner Audio. That post elicted the following dialogue.

MarkyD sez:
     "Thanks NØ. I desperately want to like Pye but couldn't really enjoy Hollow Earth or Let's Emerge. I suppose I want my hauntology to be more James Kirby. I will listen to these with more humility."

In reply. I sez:
     "These four (Black Mill Tapes - Ed) seem different to me from Hollow Earth, but my idea of hauntology leans more toward Burial, so go figure. This was just something I wanted to share as I was finishing up the P file. Let me know what you think about these." 

 



Then MarkyD sez:
     "As for Bevan (William Emmanuel Bevan aka Burial), he peaked too soon with Untrue."

To which I sez:
     "As for WEB, I guess I was too vague in my comment. I meant Burial (self-titled). I am always entertained & intrigued by its uniqueness whenever I give it a spin."

Here's the release I mentioned. Sit down & let it teleport you to the South London Boroughs...C'mon, Spaceape fer Xist sake.

 

Burial - Burial, Hyperdub HDBCD001, 2006.
all decryption codes in comments

Untitled
Distant Lights
Spaceape featuring SpaceApe
Wounder
Night Bus
Southern Comfort
U Hurt Me
Gutted
Forgive
Broken Home
Prayer
Pirates
Untitled
bonus tracks
South London Boroughs
Nite Train
 
 
 

Here is a post-Untrue release. It is a compilation of tracks from EPs released from 2011s Street Halo to 2019s Claustro / State Forest. Songs that appeared over many years as separate self-contained units can now be seen as cohesive, showcasing diverse styles & approaches. If the individual EPs are self-contained worlds, the compilation makes it clear that it is a unified galaxy of Burial's own design....
 
Burial - Tunes 2011-2019 2xCD, Hyperdub HDBCD048, 2019.

CD 1 -
State Forest    
Beachfires    
Subtemple    
Young Death    
Nightmarket    
Hiders    
Come Down to Us    
Claustro    
Rival Dealer     

CD 2 -
Kindred    
Loner    
Ashtray Wasp    
Rough Sleeper    
Truant     
Street Halo    
Stolen Dog    
NYC
 
 
 

While I'm sharing Burial, here's a rarity & a real treat. INHALEGOLD is an anagram of Heligoland that contained the track "Paradise Circus". "Four Walls" is a remix of the Massive Attack song of the same name. Both tracks feature uncredited vocals by Hope Sandoval. There is a great deal of debate amongst audiophiles about the sound quality of these tracks. Since Burial uses a great deal of programmed noise, it is hard to tell for sure. I am sharing both the original test pressing & the WAV files. Decide for yourselves...
 
Massive Attack vs Burial - Four Walls/Paradise Circus 12", Inhale Gold INHALECOLD001, 2011.

Side A -
Four Walls
Side B -
Paradise Circus
 
 

 
 
 
Enjoy,

1 comment:

  1. Burial
    ArVhqw6bL71ua2kVucKPLl7qMKvGEf-2ss91wNFV7qQ
    Tunes 2011-2019
    8DWunu4Hq5XJecVPNPWtvJc0B5pzegYhf4E1QQuIeRo
    Four Walls/Paradise Circus 12“
    JK8Aea2z4D-pIEbeRnUDX2VDvvm4awHd-ImhCSSBN3o
    Four Walls/Paradise Circus WAV
    pAkbbCbksP0LcYo_YKBjYbFvyuyOWeA1jJYC7g9Uf6I

    ReplyDelete