On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

01 June 2022

What’s Going on with Psychedelic Soul?

 

I was thrilled with the recent release by Monophonics entitled Sage Motel. Monophonics are one of the best (right up there with Black Pumas or St. Paul & the Broken Bones) soul outfits going today. Sage Motel is the epitome of what they do best, which is Norman Whitfield era psychedelic soul. SM is a return to Monophonics deepest roots, channeling the Whitfield/Marvin Gaye nexus perfectly. Vocalist Kelly Finnigan is in top form. I have posted earlier Monophonics here. Thought I'd give you some more. 

 



One of my personal favorite Monophonics' releases is Sound of Sinning. On Sound of Sinning the band ventured beyond their comfort zone to incorporate the psychedelic sound of the 60s & 70s into their psychedelic soul sound. They blend sounds of Northern soul, doo-wop, rock 'n' roll, psych pop, even cinematic themes. Sound of Sinning was produced by singer Kelly Finnigan & guitarist Ian McDonald. They recorded it on an old Tascam eight-track 1/4" tape machine to capture that true old school analog soul style. 

 

Monophonics - Sound of Sinning, Transistor Sound TSMPCD 001,  2015.
decryption code in comments

Lying Eyes
Sound of Sinning
La La La Love Me
Promises
Falling Apart
Hanging On
Strange Love
Find My Way Back Home
Holding Back Your Love
Too Long
Everyone's Got...

Enjoy,

3 comments:

  1. TU1iDc34_FulvNGh86JaYefKdJzAgMPgHSzGRIRJ6oA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfamiliar with Monophonics but I love me some psychedelic soul so thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psychedelic soul is one of my faves. I think I have most everything from the original era: Norman Whitfield/Motown (psyche Temps, Marivin "What's Going On?"), all things P-Funk, soul Hendrix, Sly, Chambers Brothers, Edwin Starr, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, the list goes on & on with greatness.

    Really glad a few bands are revisiting. I liked Erykah Badu & Janelle Monáe well enough, but like the Marvin Gaye/male vocalist sound best (Paul Janeway, Eric Burton, & Kelly Finnigan all have it in full).

    I've been really hooked on St. Paul & the Broken Bones -The Alien Coast. Have everything Black Pumas (hoping they have new material soon). I highly recommend Sage Motel by Monophonics. It is incredibly good.

    ReplyDelete