On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

13 September 2009

Between the Idea & the Reality...Falls the Shadow

 UPDATE:This post was re-uploaded 08/23/2013. Enjoy, NØ

It's been a great week for me & musick.

This Tuesday is my two year anniversary at Nothin' Sez Somethin' & I was trying to come up with somethin' good.

Yesterday I got a package from a friend of mine who lives in Massachusetts. He is a vinyl collector. He pillages the eastern seaboard for collectible vinyl. He occasionally sells off doubles he's accumulated or stuff he no longer listens to or wants. I never pay more than $5 per platter. I always have a standing order for certain types & genres of musick, plus certain specific request, so although I never know exactly what I'll be getting in my Care packages, Steiner never fails to come through & enthrall. In Friday's treasure trove were many wonders of vinyl heaven that I'll be getting to as time permits...but there were two ethereal gems with which to begin.

First off was an album from 1968 by a Boston band that I have been looking for for years, which I see on ebay sometimes being offered in the $40 - $60 range...The Beacon Street Union - The Eyes of... I had this disc back in the day. I finally wore it out I played it so much. Classic Boss Sound of Bosstown with just that somethin' to make it special. When I listened to it yesterday, I remembered the songs as if it was, well, yesterday that I had last heard it...but not in the way that I usually remember old favorites long unheard. They were fresh as my lover's smile in my mind. I had the strangest feeling that they were, unbeknown to me, the soundtrack of my deepest dreams.

Then I found an unexpected unrequested star.

If you've followed this blog for long, you probably have heard me blather on about The Alleycats & The Zarkons. Well, for a long time I've been looking for The Zarkons final album from 1988...Between the Idea & the Reality...Falls the Shadow. Well, lo & behold, there it was...& here it is. Although this was released as The Zarkons were in terminal meltdown, it is one hella great album in this man's opinion. If you're not sure, try "Shoot the Moon" for a taste. I think you'll be back to the platter for seconds. I'll get to the other things later.


The Zarkons - Between the Idea & the Reality...Falls the Shadow,
Atlantic 81846, 1988.
decryption code in comments

Side A -

Heart Full of Soul
Just Who We Are?
Rodeo Rider
Miasma of Illusion
The Hunchback in the Park


Side B -

Shoot the Moon
Among the Ruins
The Dark Horse
In the Realm of the Zarkons

Enjoy,

5 comments:

  1. Alleycats DVD available if yr interested... where are Randy and Diane now?

    http://www.timecoastmusic.com/alleycats.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. MANY THANKS! I didn't even know the Zarkons had a second album until very recently.

    Your blog rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, yes I'm replying to a really old post, but I feel I must....

    Randy & I ran across this page last night looking for the album art for Between the Idea & the Reality...Falls the Shadow. He'd probably love to see your Alley Cats/Zarkons collection; you now how a lot of stuff gets lost over the years....
    Randy still shreds and is finally playing again! He had a short-lived band called Vagabondy that just played Liquid Kitty's Punk Rock BBQ back in August; however, he's playing some Alley Cats tunes again with The Alley Cats (SOB). They just played at the Redwood last weekend. Come see them with The Last and The Gears at Alex's Bar in Long Beach on the 20th of this month! http://www.facebook.com/events/305010069607051/

    ReplyDelete
  4. MEGA decryption code
    FdHfhWgxxs8NKU4eVs0TpXjLqbw97OiFHz4I_FN_8ZA

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very belated thanks, I saw the Alley Cats several times back in 1979-1981. They were one of my favorite bands. Never knew they moved on has the Zarkons. I'm looking forward to hearing this.

    ReplyDelete