On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

03 May 2022

Let's Go Fishin'

Have I ever mentioned that I listen to music nearly twenty-four hours a day now. I wear earbuds at night. My dreams are orchestrated by the whims of shuffle. My few sojourns out into public these hermit / CoVid days are about the only time I'm music-less. I really want to step to the soundtrack of my life. I also have to be the DJ for the event. Just rambling...it's the anniversary of my birth & I'm contented & very high.

Never really been a huge fan of ska, although I in no way dislike it. I am a fan of Subhumans, however & so have always liked the punk ska of Subhumans off-shoot, Citizen Fish. Being vegetarian more than fifty years, vegan more than fifteen years, I love their vegan vehemence. Never got around to them for some reason except for a split with Leftover Crack on this fantastic singles & more megapost. Remedying that lack now. 

 

 



Citizen Fish formed in 1989 in the Bath area in jolly old England. The original members were: Dick Lucas - vocals (Culture Shock & Subhumans); Jasper Pattison - bass (Culture Shock); Trotsky - drums (Subhumans); & some guy named Larry - guitar. Following the release of their first album, Free Souls in a Trapped Environment, Larry left the band. He was replaced by Phil (Subhumans). In 2006 Silas Berney replaced Trotsky (still plays with Subhumans). 

 

 



My first live encounter with Citizen Fish came about like this: EAT POOP! 'zine put on a all-ages show at Clover Hall, San Jose. It headlined Rancid. The POOPsters all knew Lars & his brother Rob Dapello (Campbell Cali crew, yeah!!!) from the San Jose alternative music scene. It was the first time Rancid played in San Jose. April 92 Lars contacted me & asked if anyone wanted on the guestlist for a show at Klub Kommotion in San Francisco. Rancid was playing with the Gr'ups (a band we also knew well from the West Oakland scene) & Citizen Fish. Black Dahlia, Krusty D' Klown, Food King, & myself made the jaunt up S.F. way. It was simply a fantastic show. Nuff sed. 

 



 

One of my favorite releases is 2011s Goods on Jello Biafra's Alternative Testicle label. The latest that I have is 2015, but I'm aware that they  played at the Ska Punk Fish Party on February 19 this year. It was an all day event at Rockaway Park, UK (Cloud Hill, Temple Cloud just south of Bristol) with Citizen Fish, Culture Shock, & Last Tree Squad.

Here's a smattering of their output... 

 

Citizen Fish - Free Souls in a Trapped Environment, Bluurg Records fish 24CD, 1990.
all decryption codes in comments

Supermarket Song
Break into a Run / Rainbows
Possession
Small Scale Wars
Home Economics
Paint
Talk is Cheap
Face Off / Youth
Flesh & Blood
Get Off the Phone
Experiment Earth
How to Write Ultimate Protest Songs
Charity 
 
 
 
 
 
Citizen Fish - Disposable Dream / Flesh & Blood II 7", Bluurg Records Fish 27, 1992.

this side -
Disposable Dream
that side -
Flesh & Blood II
 
 
 
 
 
Citizen Fish -  Millennia Madness, Lookout! Records LOOKOUT!123CD, 1995.

P.C. Musical Chairs
Next Big Thing
Can't Be Bothered
2000 & One
Panic in the Supermarket
Can't Complain
Faster
Phone in Sick
Refugees Go West
Backlash
Friends
Skin
 
 
 
 
 
Citizen Fish -  Life Size, Honest Don's DON 036-2, 2001.

Over the Fence    
Revolution    
Out of Control
Picture This    
Internal Release    
Autographs
Back to Zero    
Choice of Viewing    
Lose the Instructions    
Somewhere to Go    
Shrink the Distance    
Will Swap (featuring the Wessex Unorthodox Choral Sextet) 
Citizen Fish - Goods, Alternative Tentacles Virus 424, 2011.

Shelf Life
Free Speech
Human Conditioner
Overseas
Better
Click
How Far Does it Go?
Insane
Marker Pen
Fearless
Discomfort Zone
Spotless
Wake Up
 
 
 
 
 
Citizen Fish - Dancing on Spikes EP, Bluurg Records fish52,  2012.

Unemplode
HD Riot
Beyond Belief
Over
Write it All Down
It Can't Go on Forever
 
 
 
 
 
Citizen Fish - Manmade 10" vinyl EP, Bluurg Records Fish53, 2015.
 
Side A -
Manmade
Face to Face
World's Gone Mad

Side B -
Paralysed
Manmade Dub

Go Vegan,

10 comments:

  1. Free Souls
    nWJ64_OpF0qhL4yayUJdMfivVcVHuWKHQZfD1Ysc1qY
    Disposable Dreams
    vYio-_OvVzbTpR_o_ZJnlR3twC1dY3Wwl5zN9Ze9OiA
    Millenia Madness
    4Zx-L0PH3VLDnKPjiSahRMB0HIAXTpCpcQJgRKV00AU
    Life Size
    AQXfi6Z7GjCyOMrxc-RNHisf5u0LQ1-8HchDrMKIV58
    Goods
    ZXFm2n3DGTPI7g_9c1ugyzpXR0uWan9nfJTkW0QexbY
    Dancing on Spikes
    rNEi1583zYwt30PF4XKRA25tMyTqEHDawEmgIZwykaU
    Manmade
    IF5D58_iGKVt9inwkAwPoPD8Xvxh6L9w2d-d-8WrSno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a cracking band with mighty fine folks making the music. Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment. Put your place in the links. Always visit your blog when I'm perusing my favorite music blogs.

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of ska but I gave away my ticket to the Subhumans outside the Whisky to a kid once after I learned it wasn't the Canadian band...LOL I'll give this band a try thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You passed up a chance to see Wiltshire's finest. Man, that was a mistake. One of (if not the) best anarcho-punk bands of all times (classics like The Day the Country Died to their latest Crisis Point 2019).

      Hope you like the C. Fish.

      Delete
    2. Happy Belated Bday

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to MrDave & jonder,

      Thanks. As my ole Paps useta say: "Just another nail in the coffin."

      Delete
  5. Happy B-Day!

    Any change you have the Subhumans- One Man's Fish Is Another Man's Poisson?

    I've been on a quest for it for a while now, sorta forgot until I saw you Citizen Fish posts.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete