On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

16 July 2022

Where the Bumblebirds Fly

 

Thoughts are strange birds.

I guess I wasn't even aware that I had recently heard Télépopmusik - "Breathe" (with Angela McCluskey) but then this bird flew in my brain squawking: "I wonder what she's done since then."

Here's what's left of that bird...

I remember back in early 00s when the song "Breathe" was getting some heavy airplay. To me it was kinda...well...cringe-worthy. But I remember that I liked the vocalist & a few other songs from the CD that she sang on. That's about it.

Flashing forward twenty-some years to today, I'm thinking I wonder what ever happened to Angela McCluskey (didn't even think once as to whatever happened to Télépopmusik...don't really care).

Angela McCluskey is from Glasgow, Scotland, UK. I find her voice to be intriguing. What she's been doing since Breathing is quite obviously singing. Her name pops up on multiple bands & numerous visionary unions. First off, a smattering of Angela McCluskey (I included the other three tracks featuring Angela off the Genetic World release but thoughtfully skipped the culprit of this crime, "Breathe"). 

 

Angela McCluskey - A View, NØ Comps, 2022.

Télépopmusik featuring Angela McCluskey - Smile
Angela McCluskey with Shudder to Think - Day Ditty
Maor Levi with Angela McCluskey - Pick up the Pieces
Angela McCluskey - The Little Things (Kasbo remix)
Télépopmusik featuring Angela McCluskey - Yesterday was a Lie
Angela McCluskey - It’s Been Done
Paul Oakenfold with Angela McCluskey - You Could be Happy (Future House mix)
Angela McCluskey - Believing
BT featuring Angela McCluskey - In the Air (Mord Fustang remix)
Angela McCluskey - I Adore You
Télépopmusik fearturing Angela McCluskey - Love’s Almighty
 
 
 

Just before her work on Genetic World surfaced, Angela released an album of covers working with Triyptych that included Lili Haydn, Martin Tillman, Paul Cantelon (Angela's husband & The Citizen's Band / Wild Colonials band-mate) . Give it a listen, you'll know what I was hearing.
 
Angela McCluskey with Triptych - Curio, Random Records T-001, 2000.
all decryption codes in comments

Famous Blue Raincoat (written by Leonard Cohen)
Lady Grinning Soul (written by David Bowie)
My Funny Valentine (written by Richard Rogers/Lorenz Hart)
Nature Boy (written by Eden Ahbez
God Bless the Child (written by Arthur Herzog, Jr., Billie Holiday)
Soldier's Things (written by Tom Waits)
Solitude (written by Ellington, DeLange, Mills)
Don't Explain (written by Arthur Herzog, Jr., Billie Holiday)
 
 

 
Then I took to wing & flitted  around in the labyrinth of mind like the flight of the bumblebird, drifting from one high perch to another...which led me to this branch... 
 

Can somebody explain Wax Tailor?
Wax Tailor - Hope & Sorrow, Atmosphériques 9848124, 2007.

Once Upon a Past    
The Way We Lived featuring Sharon Jones
The Games You Play featuring Voice
The Tune    
The Man with no Soul featuring Charlotte Savary
Radio Broadcast
Positively Inclined  featuring Maina Quaisse & A.S.M
Sometimes    
House of Wax featuring The Others
Beyond Words    
To Dry Up featuring Charlotte Savary
We Be featuring Ursula Rucker
That Case
There is Danger
Alien in My Belly featuring Charlotte Savary
 
 
 
 
Let me know the scoop on Wax Tailor, anyone, please. 


I was digging the above tracks featuring Charlotte Savary so decided to try some of her other offerings.

In 2016 Charlotte released her debut solo album Seasons. Less electro/trip-hop than Wax Tailor, more French pop/folk. Great vocals.
 
 
 
 
Charlotte Savary - Seasons, Wing It WING002, 2016.

A Movie (intro)
Bye Bye (Summer)
Under Your Skin
Coming Home
The Fall
A While
Oh Rose
Winter (What You See Below the Ice)
Your Love Means Nothing
Faster, Further
Spring Time (Is Here for Love Making)
What Do You Do ?
The Stereo
 

 
Recently Charlotte has been performing with Marine Thibault, doing French electro/poptrip-hop under the moniker SEYES. Charlotte wrote the lyrics & sings, Marine plays piano, flute, drum machine, provides the chorus, most everything else. Drum machine, then flute slides in, the piano picks up the melody, then...wait for it...the angelic vocals join the song. "Peace" has it in spades.
 
 
 
SEYES - Beauty Dies, Music Box Publishing, 2020.

Dream In Blue    
The Valley of Unrest    
Au Son Des Armes    
Beauty Dies    
Arrest Him    
Peace    
Dans l'Arène    
Alan in September    
Sans Titre
 

 
 
Then the birds were in flight again, feeling the pull of migratory conditioning...

SET US FREE, the birdsongs called.

I drifted back in time a few years to music that's been on stand-by more or less. I used to listen to, then lost track of Emancipator (Douglas Appling, NYC born musician). His downtempo / trip-hop style always went down well in my ears. I guess somewhere around the Dusk to Dawn / Dusk to Dawn remixes I forgot.
 
 
 
 
I remember why I forgot. I started this *%@&!!ing blog back in 2007. I started presenting music I wanted to share. I guess for a goodly while I just stopped listening to anything I didn’t already enjoy & wished to pass on to the ears of others. I guess about the time of I did Music Around the World (2013) that I really started listening to 'different music' (out of my comfort hole). That project forced the fact that there was a world of musick out there that I needed to hear. Since that time I have opened up completely to MUSIC. Only recently, after my move back to the East & my freedom at last from wage slavery have I stream-lined the way I post musick on this stinking mess. 


If the music lingers long enough in my mind, I do something with it, whatever that becomes.
 
 
Be Here Now!

 
Here are a pair of releases that belong together just for the fantastic juxtaposition between the studio & the live.
 
Emancipator - Baralku, Loci Records LOCI 021, 2017

Baralku    
Ghost Pong    
Mako    
Daffodil Pickels    
Tree Hunt    
Abracadabra    
Goodness    
Udon    
Bat Country    
Pancakes    
Rappahannock    
Winter Dub    
Time For Space    
Sands
 

 
Next is an Emancipator album recorded live on his 2018 tour. Baralku Tour Live embodies the progression from studio to live, fusing the bands organic electronic sound with the audience's energy & presence. Featuring the full Emancipator Ensemble - Doug Appling (Emancipator) backed by: Asher Fulero - keyboards; Ilya Goldberg - violin/viola); mub FRACTAL - bass; & Colby Buckler - drums.
 
Emancipator - Baralku Tour Live, Loci Records, 2019.

Baralku
Valhalla
Nevergreen
Dusk to Dawn
Diamonds
Bat Country
Water Temple
Lionheart (DnB remix)
Natural Cause
Ghost Pong
Eve
Greenland
1993
Wolfdrawn
Ares
Time for Space
Goodness
Kamakura
Anthem
Minor Cause
 

 
 
 
 
By now my fine feathered friends are seeking roost. They are worn of wing & frazzled of feather. What was supposed to be a scholarly treatise of a wise owl ends in a flight of fancy that is giving me goose bumps. I guess I’m crazy as a loon.

So Just Flunk Me.

I have been working on a Flunk post for a long time but I haven’t been happy with the results.

So just flunk me.

I decided for now I'll just post up a "Best of..." compilation (deluxe version, of course...I know you’re not chopped liver).

So just flunk me.
 
Or how about this... 
 
 
 
 
Flunk - The Songs We Sing: Best of 2002-2012 deluxe version
Beatservice Records BS136CD, 2012.

Disc 1 (the original mixes) -

Play    
On My Balcony    
Blue Monday (New Order cover)
Cigarette Burns
Six Seven Times    
Personal Stereo    
See Thru You    
Sit Down
Probably    
Morning Star    
Miss World    
Blind My Mind    
If We Kiss    
Spring to Kingdom Come    
Common Sense    
Diet of Water & Love

Disc 2 (the remixes) -
 
Blue Mondays (Blue States remix)
Morning Star (Parliavox remix)
Play (Slowpho Opp Av Godstolen remix)
Common Sense (Kohib remix)
Kebab Shop 3 AM (Rune Lindbæk Klubb Kebab Dub)
Personal Stereo (Sagevik remix)
If We Kiss (Astrojazz remix)
Magic Potion (Athome Project Nedi Garasjen remix)
All Day & All of the Night (Tronso & Nils Noa remix)
Diet of Water & Love (Manu remix)
See Thru You (Cinque Cento remix)
Personal Stereo (Wet Cookies remix)

Birds of a feather flock together.

Enjoy,

8 comments:

  1. A View
    no code necessary
    Curio
    RK2r0J2GGE78I6Yyc7FRAsBP-t4dQbb678TAW0lvAfc
    Hope &Sorrow
    8MzNGURydwM7aVwxWuC3LyYweSiXc_afrPopDEho5hM
    Seasons
    jDKyiPI20eHaMnEE3gwUIGmZ4mhS5AW8ODSDyP1Kirs
    Beauty Dies
    v-dlZdX-CiMAgXbi-of9Xn0V7czGUkzzpR2iwnOzPiw
    Baralku
    2GJCmBVWHZVdqkSXDDCYfiqky9VxCZg30IwxS6LCRiM
    Baralku Tour Live
    72y3zkqEqFHh1p8chZGwIr1y64LA7Id3MSyKMZMxxGg
    The Songs disc 1
    pDfMYXJ7GWSduFTLjsZ90p6ouF9YHh_-Qoj5E3327Jw
    The Songs disc 2
    D9NV0kFIL45dHJo0V-u29nSJDX9-aBFkf0jIPvQNoT4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the scoop on Wax Tailor from NO ONE!!! Really appreciate all you've had to say. REALLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I was pleasantly surprised by this old record.
    Maybe you know it but just in case...
    Cheers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VskSobwOwE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realised the great Arthur Russel is part of it. All the better....

      Delete
  4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_Tailor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Rob...don't take this the wrong way, but I expect more from your input. I can pretty much find anything on Wiki, & I know who Wax Tailor is. I just wanted someone to expound on the man. "explain"..."give me the scoop". He's French so I guess that I just don't know.

    Maybe I'll just start posting more of his releases until someone can enlighten me or until I get it or get sick of it, which ever comes first.

    On some blogs/isles I visit at least 40 or 50 guys would have chimed in by now. Guess that's what happens when you're nothin' instead of an upper-class twit.

    Thanks for replying at least, no one else did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No offense taken, was a bit lazy, was feeling your frustration, poked the bear...Not a lot of info as you say out there, he's new to me, so I will keep diggin!! you may like; https://www.mixcloud.com/kexp/kexp-presents-midnight-in-a-perfect-world-with-wax-tailor/ ...Off to hide in the corner in shame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only shame is that it's a shame no one has been able to enlighten me here as to the mystery underlying Wax Tailor. I was being facetiously curmudgeonly in my reply. Alway appreciate your comments here & thanks for the link to the MixCloud mix.

      Delete