On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

29 June 2023

More Bubblegum: Bang-Shang-a-Lang (Bang Bang)

After Bazooka Joe, I thought you might like some more bubblegum. 
 



Here the Archies are: Archie Andrews - guitar; Veronica Lodge - organ; Rggie Mantle - bass; Betty Cooper - tambourine; & Jughead Jones - percussion. (The real lead singer was Ron Dante, joined in the studio most often by Toni Wine, Jeff Barry, & Bobby Bloom. Session musicians played the music: guitarist Dave Appell; bassist Joey Macho; keyboard player Ron Frangipane; & drummer Gary Chester.) 

 

The Archies - The Archies, Calendar KES-101, 1968.
decryption code in comments

Side 1 -
Archie's Theme (Everything's Archie)
Boys & Girls    
Time for Love    
You Make Me Wanna Dance    
La Dee Doo Down Down    
Truck Driver    

Side 2 -
Catchin' up on Fun    
I'm in Love    
Seventeen ain't Young    
Ride, Ride, Ride    
Hide & Seek    
Bang-Shang-a-Lang

Written by Jeff Barry - tracks 1,2,4,5,6,8,9,10---Ritchie Adams & Mark Barkan - tracks 3,7,11. Produced by Jeff Barry & Don Kirshner.

Pop that bubble chum,

5 comments:

  1. The Archies
    mOT5eo85JoDAli6teTuJt7T0kRCOT2ddRR1WhOZscZE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thanks Nathan...was wondering who Bobby Bloom was as I got a request at my blog for his funk platter from E.W. and going to rip it this weekend also wanted to put this Archie's thing to bed as I know I have posted one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about your guilty pleasures! This certainly is one of mine. I actually had the Bang-Shang-a Lang 45 when I was a kid.

    Don Kirshner had already proven he could produce hit records without a real band per se with The Monkees. The obvious next step was to do that with cartoon characters rather than real live actors.

    As long as we’re traveling down this road, we might as well explore the neighborhood with another Saturday morning bubble gum super group of sorts:

    The Banana Splits - The Beagles
    https://krakenfiles.com/view/5CDfw03gtu/file.html

    Funny story a once read about ‘The Splits’: apparently the people inside the costumes felt they deserved better pay due the their belief that it was their talent and creativity that brought the characters to life. The studio didn’t see it that way and responded by firing them all. So much for my dreams of fame and fortune for bringing Drooper to life!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Nothing guilty about these pleasures. You probably never had reason to look but I've posted We're the Banana Splits here in the past...
    https://nathannothinsez.blogspot.com/2015/08/b-is-for-bytes-bits-banana-splits.html

    As I sez in one of my comments: "one of my childish flights of fantasy".

    "---but on a musical note, The Banana Splits' bubblegum pop was provided by notable studio professionals, including Joey Levine ("I Enjoy Being a Boy", "It's a Good Day for a Parade"); Al Kooper ("You're the Lovin' End"); Barry White ("Doin' the Banana Split"); & Gene Pitney ("Two Ton Tessie"). Also, Jimmy Radcliffe provided the songs ("I'm Gonna Find a Cave", "Soul", "Don't Go Away - Go-Go Girl", "Adam Had 'Em" & "The Show Must Go On")."

    ---but as far as the folks in the suits, nobody's gone know if ya swap'em out.

    Thanks for the link & beware of Danger Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure didn't see that, but I'm on the way over to that page now. Seeing where the music actually came from says a lot about why is still sounds so good. Well played my friend!

    ReplyDelete