On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

24 August 2024

Jack of All Names

 

NØ sez:
     After TSOL & right before Tender Fury, True Sons vocalist & co-founder Jack Grisham (Jack Greggors in TSOL, here as Jack Loyd) joined up with Mike Patton & some other musickian friends to release the one-off Cathedral of Tears on Enigma.

In Jack's own words,

     "This is one of those mistakes you make that you can't take back. My dad died, I was going through a lot of shit...I stole the tapes. We had a record...we wrote a bunch of new songs, went in the studio & I stole the tapes. Our record company had said, 'There's no song here that will get radio play,' & I was like 'Bullshit, there is.' So I stole the tapes from the record company, took it to the radio station, & they were playing our song ("Black Emotion") while I was driving away. (laughs) & it turned out to be the number four requested song on the station that year. With no record out. & then Enigma finally put it out. They finally put it out, but it was too late. I had already done the damage by the time it came out."

Cathedral of Tears were: Jack Loyd (Grisham) - vocals; Mark Ford - guitar; Mike Patton - bass; Eddie Sedano - keyboards; & John Guerrero - drums; with additinal help from Mike Borens & Jon St. James - guitars; & Chaz Ramirez - backing vocals. 

 

Cathedral of Tears - Cathedral of Tears, Enigma Records E-1045, 1984
decryption code in coments

This Side -
Trap
A Situation Of...
Calm Storm

The Other Side -
Black Emotion
Ballet
Whisper from the Deadland

I'm having a meltd0wn, a Digital Meltd0wn,

8 comments:

  1. Cathedral of Tears
    bBaPIgMrJ9hK2RhEgLXzElLm3wV1qn5zJ3X5iAh8G00

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! I had the good fortune of meeting Middle Class bassman Mike Patton earlier this year in Atlanta when I saw his new band called Gebidan. Their song "Achilles" is about the Elks Lodge riot.

    https://gebidan.bandcamp.com/album/entropy

    Here's a recent interview with Mike (which touches on Cathedral Of Tears):

    https://radatl.com/2024/03/17/talking-with-mike-patton-middle-class-gebidan/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jonder. Can always count on you for something pertinent. That interview with Mike is a fantastic read. I have always been a fan, now even more so when I hear his caring & depth for humaniy & musical oneness.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I think that Entropy is on hella good release. Just bought a digital copy over at bc. Thanks again, brother.

      Delete
  3. Being a huge fan of T.S.O.L.'s eponymous EP but disappointed with their following releases I was curious to hear this (especially with the Middle Class connection) -- definitely not my cup o' tea at all but thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what is your cup o' tea. I seem to know more music you don't like than you do???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still reeling from this comment! Haven't been able to get myself out of bed for weeks now but I've finally gathered the strength to reply.

    I've commented before about how much our tastes overlap and 80-90% of what you've posted in August just for example is definitely my cup 'o tea though I didn't comment on all the shares I already had (many from Digital Meltd0wn no doubt): Iggy & James Williamson/Stooges (big time!), Saccharine Trust, Bootsy/Funkadelic, Sun City Girls, Black Merda, Vibrators, Avengers, Roky Erickson/13th Floor Elevators (and most of the artists paying tribute), Hot Snakes/Drive Like Jehu, Ohio Players, Suck, Mummies, Ladytron, Black Devil, Donovan, A Tijuana Trip (brand new to me), Muslimgauze, Unsane, Bram Tchaikovsky, etc., etc.

    The only things I can think of where I've made a negative remark on something here (as opposed to my usual "new to me but sounds interesting" comment) is maybe mentioning that The Clash never clicked with me (though I admire their commitment to social justice), not particularly liking Reggae but enjoying some Dub (and thank you for your guidance there) ... and this objectively mediocre (to be kind) goth synth-pop crap!! ;-p Like I said, I loved early T.S.O.L. and Middle Class so I was just personally disappointed by this in comparison. To each their own brother!

    I dig so much of what you share here that I'm just a little baffled why you would think that I point out more stuff I don't like than thanking you for all the great music that I'm totally down with (in most cases brand new to me since I don't comment on things I already have)?!? Keep on keepin' on and I'll make sure to keep a lid on any negative opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you took my reply all wrong. I don't mind negative comments at all. I know that everyone has differing tastes in music. I also know that a lot of what I share is not really "popular" music.

      I was simply remarking that you often comment about things that are not your "cup of tea" & I try to pay attention to that. I guess as you say you "don't comment on things " you "already have" or is "brand new to" you.

      In all the years you've been visiting here, I don't think I really have a handle on what you really enjoy or listen to in "MrDave time". Perhaps if you've never heard it before, you could reply if you did like it or not, just to steer me in the right direction.

      I was not trying to be negative in any way. I was truly hoping you would let me know just what your "cup of tea" is musically. I try to share things here that regulars such as yourself have expressed interest in & that I can help provide.

      Since I have assumed that you have gathered quite a collection of music in your time, I suppose there is not much I can share that you don't already have if it's something that you like.

      I truly value your input here, always have, & never meant in any way to alienate your feelings. Sorry, mate.

      Delete