On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

25 August 2024

I Feel Like a Lucky Monkey

 

NØ sez:
     Well, my attention deficit disorder is kicking in. I though it would help me organize my thoughts & determine my choices by posting musick in alphabetical order. Now I'm getting bored with the procedure. So today I'm hitting three letters all at once...I-ggy Pop, J-ames Williamson, & K-ill City.

After the second break-up of The Stooges (the first break-up & reformation added Williamson to The Stooges as Ron Asheton moved from guitar to bass & Dave Alexander moved from alcoholic to dead), Iggy & James recorded Kill City. This disc is somewhere in the no-mans land between The Stooges & Iggy's solo career. Although maligned by many (mostly for its less than stellar production values), this is by far my favorite post-Stooges work by Mr. Pop (& really damn good considering Iggy was in drug rehab at the time).

Released in 1977 by Bomp Records. All tunes written by Iggy Pop & James Williamson except "Master Charge" by James Williamson & Scott Thurston.

Players on this album are: Iggy Pop - vocals; James Williamson - guitar; Scott Thurston - keyboards, bass, backing vocals, special effects, & harmonica; Brian Glasscock - drums, congas, African beaters, backing vocals, & guiro; Steve Tranio - bass; Tony Sales - backing vocals & bass; Hunt Sales - backing vocals & drums; John Harden - saxophone; & Gayna (from the Count Dracula Society) - backing vocals on "Night Theme".

 

Iggy Pop & James Williamson - Kill City, Bomp Records BLP-4001, 1977.
decryption code in comments

Side 1 -
Kill City
Sell Your Love
Beyond the Law
I Got Nothin'
Johanna
Night Theme

Side 2 -
Night Theme (reprise)
Consolation Prizes
No Sense of Crime
Lucky Monkeys
Master Charge

I'm having a meltd0wn, a Digital Meltd0wn,

2 comments:

  1. Kill City
    ZnVdgVu4uYSO2_gJPkZdheG6xWgZoCvifHUtseg1f_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I remember clearly buying this album, and first listening to it. Happy young 14 year old, going to a shop in Belgium, finding this Iggy "Lust For Life" Pop
    album for a few quid. Listening to it crashed my view on pop music. The same month I also bought VU & N and I knew immediately that I had known nothing.
    Kill City is now an album I listen to once a year or so. It seems nothing, But I have thousands vinyls, only a few are revisiting friends, you don't see much but when you do, it's still the best.

    ReplyDelete