On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

19 March 2022

Talking Trash About the Clash

 

There's been some debate around parts of the interweb where I slum as to the greatness or lack thereof of  "the only band that matters".

First off, if you think that remark by guitarist Gary Lucas (Captain Beefheart, Gods & Monsters) was made in anything less than total facetiousness, you're a fool. But if you don't believe its total veracity, well...same goes, I guess.

Then there are those who dismiss Paul Simonon as just a cover-boy (London Calling). I've got news for you. He may have been the least musically inclined but he was no Sid Vicious. He played one hella bass. I've included This is Dub Clash & if you haven't figured this one out before the final notes of the first tune "The Magnificent Dance" then I guess you're deaf.

Joe Strummer was a rocker. Mick Jones loved NYC sound system. Topper Headon was the jazziest. Paul Simonon was the Dub master bassist. Put them all together & they became so much more than even the sum of those parts. They are the Clash.

Here's some thing a bit off the well-worn path... 

 

 

 

The Clash - This is Radio Clash, Epic 49-02662,1981.
all decryption codes in comments


Side 1 -
This is Radio Clash
Radio Clash

Side 2 -
Outside Broadcast
Radio Five

 

 

These next songs are remixes of other Clash tunes (except ''Radio One'' which is a reworking of a Mikey Dread tune from Rocker Station). Bootleg. 

 

The Clash - This is Dub Clash, Pirate Radio Numero Uno PR#1 DUBCLASH 1, 2000.

The Magnificent Dance
Justice Tonight / Kick it Over
Robber Dub
Living in Fame
Who Holds the Key
Silicone on Sapphire
The Cool Out
One More Dub
The Escapades of Futura Dub
Version Pardner
Outside Broadcast / Radio 5
Mustapha Dance
Mensforth Dub
Return to Brixton (SW2 Dub)
Radio One (Reprise)
 
 
 
 


This slab was recorded live at the Roundhouse 1976 featuring Keith Levine. Bootleg.
 
The Clash  - Going to the Disco, Brigade Rosse Records, 2001.

Side A -

Deny
1-2 Crush on You
I Know What You Do
I Don't Want Your Money
I Can't Understand the Flys
Protex Blue
Janie Jones

Side B -

Made Me Absent
Going to the Disco
48 Hours
I'm So Bored With You
Work
London's Burning
What's My Name
1977
 
 
 
 

These tracks are taken from The Clash - Sound System box set CD 10, Sound System Extras 2 (odd tracks 1-13 & 14)  & Lost Treasures (even tracks 2-12). 
 

First Night Back in London
Like a Tiger (Kris Needs vocal)
Idle in Kangaroo Court
Fingerpoppin' (AOR remix)
Stop the World
House of the Ju-Ju Queen (Janie Jones vocals)
Sean Flynn (extended Marcus Music version)
Sex Machine (Janie Jones vocal)
Long Time Jerk
Sex Mad Roar (Flipside Twelve)
The Beautiful People are Ugly Too (outtake)
Danger Love (Kris Needs vocal)
Cool Confusion
Midnight at Stevens (outtake)

Enjoy,

20 comments:

  1. Radio Clash
    -YgMTi71JGguiZ1uxucfs9R5IvJph-G3ECa6rfim8BM
    Dub Clash
    bRNet0-GdwHuoKSYM6gg3JFhRPatTv4_omOZVzPrpkk
    Going to the Disco
    8cT_pf92WBJOSbDXbRMxG9tgbiNGuInULcIVoWRTMUg
    Sound System extras
    _AQoxLgiOa3lLgowcqOsHMox_hnyZNyxVRFoe9e951Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was no Sid, for sure but you may find Norman Watt-roy to be the actual bass player on those....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name of this post is "Talking Trash About the Clash" & here goes.
      Norman Watt-Roy is a great bassist & did indeed play on several of The Clash's best tunes. There is no question that he played on the album cuts "The Magnificent Seven", Hitsville UK", & even "Rock the Casbah", but there is no actual proof that he is on any of the Dub Clash remixes.

      In an interview in 2001, Joe was asked about This is Dub Clash, which was a bootleg & not an actual Clash release.

      He stated: “Although Norman Watt-Roy filled in for Paul on the studio release of The Magnificent Seven, Paul did his reggae thing on these Dub remixes as best as I recall. We had a rotating cast of players around the time of Super Black Market & early London Calling sessions, but Mick, Topper, Paul, & I were always the true heart of the band.”

      Delete
    2. Point taken, was just throwing it out there, nothing can detract from the greatness that is Clash regardless of the bassplayer

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the dialogue. I didn't know the answer to your comment so I searched around & educated myself. There is much debate about just who did what when with Clash recordings. Can never get too much knowledge. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon, and Topper Headon are the center of my musical universe. When I was a teenager, they were my musical Big Bang. Their versatility radiated outward, introducing me to so many other galaxies of music. And that influence keeps expanding. Thank you for these, and for perpetuating their momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many like you, myself included, who credit the Clash for much of our musical awareness & enjoyment. Thanks for the kind thoughts about one of the greatest bands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better to start into Spring than a good Dose of Clash.Thank Yiou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a dose of the clash back in the late 70s. They told me I could cure it with some antibiotics but I decided to keep it. I still have it & have never regretted it. Thanks for the comment, brother. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  6. From a magazine interview years ago (I forget which one): Norman said this...I did about ten or twelve songs on Sandanista. Titles I can remember are "Magnificent Seven", "Hitsville UK", "Charlie Don't Surf", "Lightning Strikes", "Every Little Bit Hurts", "Lose This Skin". I'd have to have a listen to the triple album to remember the rest of the titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to The Clash studio logs, Norman Watt-Roy added his bass chops to Super Black Market Clash, Cut the Crap, & Sandinista. Some times he was the sole bassist on songs, sometimes he & Pau both worked the songs. Either way, its all great & Paul on the Dub remixes. Thanks for the info & the comment.

      Delete
  7. I do enjoy my visits with you and your blog, always very insightful and some quality comments (as above). The Clash were my very first live band cherry as a impressionable 15 year old. London Calling still lives in my rotating mood all time top ten albums. Over time I guess I have collected and lost again a decent amount of Clash and releated music, it's a seemingly bottomless pit of desire. Thanks especially for Dub Clash, that bootleg has been avoiding me for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment & for being a long-time friend of this mess. I recognize the beautiful cleavage everytime over the years you have left word.

      I also saw that you posted (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais earlier this month. As you say, the amount of Clash is sometimes daunting, but glad I could offer up something you were interested in.

      Delete
  8. This Is Dub Clash is such a great album. I listen to it every time I take a long plane ride. Grab if already don't have it. You can't go wrong - the best of both world - punk and dub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree whole heartedly. This is Dub Clash is my go-to punk/Dub platter. I dine from it often. Never walk away hungry. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  9. I'm one of those who the Clash never clicked with musically but I won't stop trying. I think I've mentioned before that they're one of the bands I "should" like since I enjoy most of their contemporaries and most other music Clash fans enjoy (as well as being on board with their politics and activism). My first exposure to the Clash came via endless repeats of their MTV videos and it's been difficult to recalibrate. I'll happily add these to my library though -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never really watched much (if any) MTV so was not jaded by their "endless repeats". Can say I have seen "Rockin' the Casbah" video & I say meh. Not one of my favorite songs anyway & the video seemed very commercial grade product.

      Delete
  10. Saw the Clash many times. From the early days until the last UK Gig with Mick at Bristol Locarno. Paul became a very good bassist and improved fast. I have even made copies of his basses and all Joes guitars. How sad is that?
    The Clash are to me and many others the greatest band ever and nothing would change that. Their message is just as relevant now as it was then. That tells you something about the state of the world.
    Every member of the band was so important to the sound and look of the band and all brought different elements of music. It was a perfect storm when Topper joined and the band flourished.
    RIP Joe, I learned a lot from him
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was lucky enough to see The Clash many times. From the early days until the last UK show with Mick at Bristol Locarno. Paul grew as a bass player until he was a very good player.
    The Clash were a band that drew inspiration from every member and when Topper joined it created the “perfect storm” and the rest is musical legend. Joe never sang a word he didn’t mean and the message from the band is just as relevant now, people in the world still starve and the rich get richer and people are oppressed.
    There will never be another band like The Clash. No one else gets security to bring 50 or 60 people back to the dressing room.

    RIP Joe. You taught me many things

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jon for your comments. I posted both comments because they both have different beautiful things to say about the lads.

    ReplyDelete