On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

10 October 2023

The Root of All Goodness

I can't believe it's been since August 1, 2008 that I posted 
Root Boy Slim, the Lenny Bruce of Boogie. 
At that time I shared his debut platter,  




Foster MacKenzie III was larger than life. He deserves more attention.

Here's his follow-up album with the Sex Change Band. 

The band consisted of:  Ernie "Sex Ray" Lancaster - guitar; Walt  "Cosmo Creek" Andrews - steel guitar; Winston Kelly - Hammond B-3 organ & keyboards; Ron Holloway - tenor saxophone; Marshall Keys - alto saxophone; Bob "Rattlesnake Rattles" Greenlee - bass; Tommy Ruger &  Albert "Kung Fu Shorty" Bashor - drums. The Rootettes were: Cherie Grasso; Marina "Mikki" Lee Jonne;  Kathe "Special K" Russell - background vocals with Dick Bangham - background vocals & trombone. 

 

Root Boy Slim & the Sex Change Band with the Rootettes - Zoom, I.R.S. Records SP 006, 1979. decryption codes in comments


Side A -
World War III
Do the Gator   
The Loneliest Room in the World   
Quarter Movie on My Mind   
Sugar Daddy   
Ignite It

Side B -
She Wants to Move In   
Dare to Be Fat   
Motel of Love   
Dozin' & Droolin'   
Express Train

 

 

 

 



Here is his his last ever solo release with tthe classic "I Fell Down"... 

 

Root Boy Slim - Don't Let This Happen to You, King Snake Records KS 0001, 1986.

Side 1 -
When You Date the Undead   
Rich, White, & Republican   
Health Spa Lady   
Kinky U.   
Computer Lover   

Side 2 -
They Don't Sing on the Corner   
I Fell Down   
It's Only Murder   
House Band in Hell   
Evolution

Boogie on,

6 comments:

  1. Zoom
    k3wZB9oo_gdf_icQoI31EF7aAYpU_KeTXhwQxd3WaIY
    Don’t Let This Happen to You
    9cHz8HoDHpGCbzLnOXDD1bRvzTfwTXjEoOUB4RcyNvw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floored by this post....you do a collector well old friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely new to me but I dig it -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right. A Root virgin. Next you'll be Dozin' & Droolin'.

      Delete
  4. I should really swing by here more often. I'm glad to finally have these two as I've never run across either of them in the wild. I was lucky enough to score the first LP at a Salvation Army store for a dime or some crazy shit, it was circa 1987/88 so, lotsa cool stuff for next-to-nothin'. Thank you for taking the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being highly underrated, Root Boy is most times overlooked by the majority. Their loss, but glad you found these. & do come back more often.

      Delete