On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

23 August 2020

Quite Rightly

You may have detected a rather rabid flurry of activity here at NSS. I sent my dying hard-drive to a friend who has offered to perform life-saving surgery, but there is not assurance of outcome. I am waiting, anything but patiently, however. I'm not much of a waiter. I spill time in everyone's laps & bring dirty vinyl to their tables. 

"I'll blacken your Christmas & piss on your door. You'll cry for mercy, but still there'll be more".




Ah, yes, Procol Harum. I posted that one (Home) back in December 2010...a whole 'nother decade. At the time I said I am constantly torn trying to decide between Home & Shine on Brightly, which one I like the best. At the time I was thinking Shine on, but I posted Home nonetheless.

Well, I'll remedy that decision by posting Shine on Brightly. You can decide (but Home is where I hang my hat).

This was PH's second outing after their self-titled first. They'd honed their teeth a bit & chomped down hard. This is the Procol line-up with Keith Reid songwriting, Robin Trower on guitar, Gary Brooker on piano, Matthew Fisher on organ, David Knights on bass, & B.J. Wilson on drums. Produced by Denny Cordel (Moody Blues, The Move, Georgie Fame, Joe Cocker, etc) & Tony Visconto (David Bowie).

In the early sixties, Ash shared a flat with the blues singer Long John Baldry. They used to go busking together up Ladbroke Grove, Baldry singing and playing guitar and Ash handing round the hat.  Often, they were accompanied by a young ukulele player known as 'Long Haired Eric' (Eric Clapton) ...

Ash passed his pipe and told some more of the stories. 


"I had this cat called Procol Harum," Ash told us, "A Burmese, a sweetie she was. At this time, 1966 - 1967, I was dealing acid to the beautiful people. Sold it to Hendrix a few times. Gary Brooker was one of my regulars. He played in a group called the Paramounts. He was always around our flat."

"What's your cat called, Ash?" he asked me.

"Procol Harum," I said, "so they changed the name of the band".
                                                        from The Longest Crawl by Ian Marchant, 2006.



Procol Harum - Shine on Brightly, A&M Records 4151, 1968.
decryption code in comments

Side 1 -
Quite Rightly So
Shine On Brightly
Skip Softly (My Moonbeams)
Wish Me Well
Rambling On

Side 2 -
Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone)
In Held T'was in I
     a. Glimpses of Nirvana
     b. T'was Tea Time at the Circus
     c. In the Autumn of My Madness
     d. Look to Your Soul
     e. Grand Finale

Enjoy,

7 comments:

  1. Shine On Brightly or Salty Dog makes way more sense than Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may make way more sense to you, but I deem Home a far superior album to Salty Dog. It always gets top rankings from the crits but for me it's third. I can never decide between SOB or Home as best, as I said.

      Delete
  2. Link not working :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shine on Brightly
    dNs0M0J86AVsf-cY8nYgGqQ__oqxI0aqaH5yZq8zaD4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link fixed. & thank you so much for the excellent job you are doing of checking out back-posts & letting me know the dead links. Just don't have the time to do it myself. Thanks again for all you do. You're hired (but I only pay in musical lucre).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Musical Lucre gladly accepted :) Actually, you are the one that is doing a priceless job of all this fantastic music you share on this wonderful site. Words cannot express my gratitude for what you do and for that I thank you sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thanks is sincerely accepted. But my thanks to you is just as real. With Frenz such as yourself, what I do here has meaning that I strive to let the music express. Guess we've got a mutual admiration thing going on. Be hearing from you again, I'm sure.

      Delete