On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

08 February 2022

Candy Says She's Out of the Head & Doing Her Thing

This was going to be the day for the Ronettes post but with the sad passing of Ronnie Spector in January, I gave that post priority & am replacing it with this one. 

 The Fems of Feb.



I kinda passed by Beth Gibbons when I was working on this month's posts, not because she's not a great womyn artist, which she definitely is. As singer & lyricist for Portishead, I felt there was not a lot from that band that needed my attentionut there is also her work away from the big P.

By default but in no means demeaning of a fine female talent, this has become Beth Gibbons day. It should be an honor to fill in for the Ronettes.

Beth has collaborated on several occasions with former Talk Talk bassist Paul Webb (Rustin Man). Before she joined Portishead, she auditioned for the singer's slot in .O.rang, the group formed by Webb after Talk Talk's late 80s departure from EMI. Then Portishead happened. 

In 2002 Gibbons & Webb released the album Out of Season in the United Kingdom under the name Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man.

In 2003 the duo released Acoustic Sunlight, basically a vinyl-only live reworking of most of Out of Season (plus the song ''Candy Says'') recorded in March 2003 in Berlin. 

 

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season, Go! Beat 440665742, 2002.
all decryption codes in comments

Mysteries
Tom the Model
Show
Romance
Sand River
Spider Monkey
Resolve
Drake
Funny Time of Year
Rustin Man 

Side One -
Drake    
Resolve    
Spider Monkey    
Tom the Model    
Sand River

Side Two -
Funny Time of Year
Candy Says (Velvet Underground cover)
Show

Enjoy,

8 comments:

  1. Out of Season
    FT-fWWSGEvFZbn14KDYeZpHube1KA-8D8yFGQVfJkmk
    Acoustic Sunlight
    39dsF3TcJt5fXgROEg2TWXd4TmBGa4H60T8L691AHhQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is great!! I love Beth Gibbon, but only have Portishead stuff. Thanks much Nathin. How about Heartless Bastards?? I got their first two albums and Erika Wennerstrom and the guys continue to tour, produce and astound!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'll just have to add Heartless Bastards & Erika Wennerstrom to my list of "I didn't have enough days in February" file. Thanks brother for the idea.

      Delete
    2. Actually it was kind of a letter to myself as I may just post the first two CD's I have...guess I was just seeing if you were aware of earlier stuff but wiki kind of answered that. She has a lot more stuff since the first two so would put it out there for others and let the links expire.

      Delete
  3. Every day is Beth Gibbon's day ... thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day without Gibbon's is like a day without monkeys.

      Delete
  4. Dude, thanks for the Acoustic Sunlight record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, NSNS. I added your blog to the links. Already grabbed some Jesus Lizard. See you have Prince Far I & also quite a few bands I'm not familiar with. Will be back. Thanks again.

      Delete