On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

05 February 2022

Soul Queen of New Orleans

 The Fems of Feb.

 



Irma Thomas, born February 18, 1941 in Ponchatoula, Louisiana is an American soul singer from New Orleans. She recorded her first tune for the Ron label in 1958. The single "Don't Mess with My Man" was released the following year & reached number 22 on the Billboard R&B chart.

She then began recording on the Minit label working with songwriter & producer Allen Toussaint on songs including "It's Raining" & "Ruler of My Heart". Imperial Records acquired Minit in 1963. Irma then had a string of successful releases with Imperial, including "Wish Someone Would Care" which was her biggest national hit along with its B-side "Breakaway".

In 2007, she won the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Blues Album for After the Rain. Thomas is still active as a performer as of 2021, appearing annually at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. She has been Queen of the Krewe du Vieux for the New Orleans Mardi Gras parade. Appropriate for Ms. Thomas as she is the "Soul Queen of New Orleans". I've posted up that album elsewhere.

Here's another great one from her more recent label Rounder. 

 

Irma Thomas - The Story of My Life, Rounder Records 2149, 1997.
decryption code in comments

No Use Talkin'
The Story of My Life
I Count the Teardrops
Cried Too Long
Love Don't Get no Better than This
Hold Me While I Cry
I Won't Cry for You
We All Need Love
Get Here
Keep the Faith
Dr. Feelgood

Enjoy,

4 comments:

  1. itx5ASrZJ3ggKg2y6PMdVmtWdTvPzJ96ANznRO4-g3E

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 18 and a bouncer at the Kingfish in BRLA she kissed me on the cheek and I 'bout died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never woulda washed that cheek, all these years.

    ReplyDelete