On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

18 November 2023

Hope Blisters Eternal

Dear friend of NSS Diego from down Tierra del Fuego way is always leaving insightful comments & fantastic links to music he knows will go over well here. On an August post of some live jams by the band Spirit he mentioned that he got acquainted with Spirit through a cover of "Natures Way" by This Mortal Coil. 

 



We discoursed about the incredible 4AD music label & its head honcho Ivo Watts-Russell, & his involvement in TMC. 

 



Apropos to TMC's Spirit cover & Ivo, I am sharing The Hope Blister as a shout-out to Diego. The Hope Blister was basically a continuation of the concept of This Mortal Coil. They focused on (so-called) cover versions so this seems to be the logical next step.

The Hope Blister - ...smiles OK, 4AD, 1998.
decryption code in comment

Dagger (Slowdive cover)
Only Human (Heidi Berry cover)
The Outer Skin (Chris Knox cover)
Sweet Unknown (Cranes cover)
Let the Happiness In (David Sylvain cover)
Is Jesus Your Pal (Slowblow/GusGus cover)
Spider & I (Brian Eno cover)
Hanky Panky Nohow (John Cale cover)

Enjoy,

9 comments:

  1. ...smiles OK
    UTsZhrxWEodu0SRXz3e5yrqQuimmjyqqjuLUUVaaVfk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this NØ. I love mortal coil and 4AD!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks k.p. Hope you like this one. More to come later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful album NØ thanks Reb

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4AD all DAy. Thanks Reb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nathan There's also this from THB https://4ad.com/releases/365
    I somehow lost my archive of it.
    By the way I'm from Santa Cruz, not Tierra del Fuego but close shot,
    Been listening to this, maybe you like it too.
    Cheers and all the best.
    Diego
    https://pocketpavilions-cis.bandcamp.com/album/gondolas-traversing-lofty-peaks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diego,
    Wasn't exactly sure exactly where, that's why I just sez: "down Tierra del Fuego way".
    I'm planning on sharing Underarms & Sideways on an upcoming post.
    Thanks for the bandcamp link. Giving it a listen right now (Expo Transit System playing as I type).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dear Nathan sometime ago found this video inherent to 4ad graphics.
    May add to some understanding of this peculiar label imagery for some.
    And yeah, proud inhabitant of the derelict settlement of Punta Bandera in Santa Cruz with another dozen stubborn souls.
    There's always a glass of decent wine if you're travelling around here again.
    Just let me know.
    Diego
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chmn0hjXSzw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Punta Bandera. Very scenic. You mentioned being a guide before, do you take folks to the Glaciers. This must be the start of your season coming on down there then, I wish I lived where there were only a dozen or so folks. Sounds wonderful.

      Thanks for the youtube video. The link is great, hope anyone interested in 4AD watches it. The info is great but the music & videos are most excellent. I watched about half so far & am heading back to finish it off. I'm downloading it so I can archive it. Now you made me want to do a series on 4AD similar to the Shimmy Disc series I did.

      Too much music to keep it all sorted.

      Delete