On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook. Embiggening the earholes

From Buttholes to Europop, from Loons to Bassoons.

17 September 2026

Dubtember 17 - Dub Secrets

Here's a great offering from the WordSound label. 
 



Scarab is another project of label head Serath "Skiz" Fernando (hope I got it right this time Mooz) joined by illbient, Trip-hop, Downtempo, Dub, minimal electronics musician Capt. Kowatch (The Conference of the Birds) & Sassan Gan aka Professor Shehab (Qaballah Steppers, Baraka Orchestra). They released three full-lenghts under the Scarab moniker in the mid-90s. 

This is their third, most accomplished offering. 

  

Scarab - Secrets of the Past & Future, WordSound WSCD019, 1996.
decryption code in comments

Seekers of Truth (Tulab El Haqq)    
Danger
Scent of Arura    
Burnt Offerings    
The Castle of Nonexistence (Bath Badgerd)    
Fall of the Towers of Convention    
Internal Dynasty
The Lost Sonic
Untitled I
Untitled II

Enjoy,
NØ

14 comments:

  1. Secrets of the Past & Future
    zlkhWXNBMbJC7_CYbpHuoWnOqISlXlg-C-Zsn6LkrDQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh thank you Nö, love that one! Reminds me a bit of Secret Chiefs3 somehow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matthieu. Glad you enjoyed this. Secrets, you know...

      Delete
  3. Everything checks out :-) This is a great one, and I agree their most polished of the three they released. Its an interesting one, there's an alternate CD release that has different track times, most notably "The Castle..." which is a minute longer here, and "Fall of..." which is 1:31 here, and 7:35 on the other. That longer version of the track can also be found on "Axiom Dub: Mysteries of Creation" because you know, all roads lead back to Laswell. And to make it even stranger, the digital version has the same track times, but many song titles are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all most curious & convoluted. The Axiom Dub connection above all else. Jardoo sez" "Scarab stands at the crossroads where tribalism meets technology and where mind controls matter. Open the doors of perception, and let the secrets be revealed." Well, sure.

      Delete
    2. Mooz, you are a lifesaver around here for me. After your comment, I went back & checked my share once more. I knew that "Fall of..." is 7+ minutes so I wondered what was up. I had listed the track order from the CD version, but realized I had the CD Ltd. version. I have corrected the track order in the information above. You are now crowned "The Skiz Checker". Thanks you for your help...want a job here at NSS???

      Delete
    3. Ha! Love it. I'm just happy to put my music obsession and research to good use.

      Delete

    4. Thank god you use your powers for goodness and not evil!

      Delete
  4. Is this one long track, as when I download it is a single track, thanks for the great album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be separate tracks. Don't know what is going on.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, its one long FLAC file. However there is a *.cue file included, and with the proper tool you can load that and it will separate the tracks by index. I use Foobar2000, works like magic and can convert to lossless or any bitrate you select.

      Delete
    3. Weird, tried again, same thing, oh well that's what cue splitter is for, i just split it

      Delete
    4. Sorry, Rob. Glad to see you're back around & sorry for the problems. Once again friend Mooz to the rescue. I shared all this months offerings at various times on a private blog where I was a member. Much of the material was FLAC but I thought I had broken them into individual files. Luckily as Mooz stated above there was a .cue file included that allows for easy file separation. I should have checked better before I shared this here. The dead link & unseparated tracks was sloppy work. I apologize to all.

      Delete
    5. No apologies necessary, we appreciate all you share!! Thanks for fixing

      Delete