On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

05 June 2024

Alert: Another Blog Going Down

Good Frenz of NSS Smashhuggler left word of the upcoming demise of yet another music blog. You might want to head over before they're gone & grab some goodies. Literally tens of thousands of things from which to choose. 

 



MixesDB has been around since early 2008. Here's the word right from the source...


"MixesDB will shutdown on June 29, 2024.

The reason for this is rather simple: The website code is completely outdated and cannot be run on modern servers anymore.

For the technically interested audience: The site runs on MediaWiki version 27 (current is version 41.1) and PHP 5.6 (current is PHP 8.3.7). Mostly everything that is not possible on Wikis by default was heavily custom coded by me or its extension is not maintained anymore (e.g. the comments and the foundation of features like the Explorer).

To make it short: The code ran into a dead corner and is not update-able anymore without months of enormous coding effort. And since ads went towards zero months ago and donation models failed years ago, I decided it's better to shut it down now than later.

I know many of us have put weeks of effort into this database, but this is where we stand."


Go, go,

3 comments:

  1. The title is small in my blog reader. Hell, I thought it was you! Sad as this is, I'm relieved it isn't you, cuz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stoopid of me, I didn't even think how that would sound. Changed the title a bit, hope it helps. Thanks fer thinkin' of me, though.

      Delete
    2. LOL ... ya had us worried. All is well.

      Delete