On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

18 May 2023

Reach for the Skye

Another favorite of mine is Morcheeba. More correctly, Morcheeba that features Skye Edwards.

Paul & Ross Godfrey along with Skye Edwards launched Morcheeba in 1995. By 2003 things had become so strained between the three that the Godfrey brothers dismissed Skye. The GBs ran through two more singers before producing an album of all guests vocalists, but to no avail. We fans wanted Skye back. Paul & Ross finally asked Edwards to return in 2010.

That year they released Blood like Lemonade with Ms. Skye on vocals. It was a spectacular reunion & a tremendous album. However, the acrimony between Paul & Ross, both musically & personally finally came to full boil after the release of Head Up High album in 2013. Paul decided he was leaving the band, which he made official in 2014. 

 



Ross Godfrey & Skye Edwards had always had a good musical relationship. Ross for his part is a extremely talented but much under-rated guitarist. Though Paul had handled much of the past Morcheeba songwriting, Ross had full confidence in Skye's songwriting chops. She had honed them well during her solo days between Morcheeba phases. 

I've posted much of her wonderful catalogue here. The two announced a new project in 2016 named Skye ][ Ross. They released their self-titled album that year. The band started as just an acoustic duo but were soon joined by  Edward's son Jaega on drums, her husband Steve Gordon on bass & Godfrey's wife Amanda Zamolo providing backing vocals. Ross & Skye then went on to release Blaze Away under the old Morcheeba moniker in 2018.

Since then they have once again remained true to the Morcheeba sound. But in my opinion, Skye ][ Ross is one of the very best Morcheeba recordings. A rose by any other name... 

 

Skye & Ross - Skye ][ Ross, Fly Agaric Records FAR002CD, 2016.
decryption code in comments

Repay the Saviour   
Light of Gold   
All My Days   
How to Fly   
Clear My Mind   
Hold On   
Medicine   
Feet First   
Head Home   
The Point of No Return

Enjoy,
NØ 

4 comments:

  1. Skye/Ross
    DYbx6spJ-Au5FLFA0m6dKH1PId4xBKlYxjULModOFHk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Nathin' love how you loop us latecomers into the fray so we can catch up and I saw and was an early Morcheeba fan...to Skye and Ross!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always trying to circle back to artists that I really enjoy or that visitors seem to be hitting on regularly, adding to the back catalogue of music from said artists. I'll be listening to something & realize I should post more or someone will mention an artist that I have more releases or I'll see in my stats that something I posted years ago is getting a lot of attention that can be filled out more. It helps to create the flow. I love to loop everyone (latecomers & all) into the fray, as you say. More cheeba...more cheeba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan! I'm gonna check this out on your recommendation. I was introduced to Morcheeba by their fantastic cover of Tommy James' Crystal Blue Persuasion, but none of their albums thrilled me as much. I'm gonna give the paired down version a try, It's always nice to see you've dropped in over at Jonderblog! Rock on! - Stinky

    ReplyDelete