On any post, if the link is no longer good, leave a comment if you want the music re-uploaded. As long as I still have the file, or the record, cd, or cassette to re-rip, I will gladly accommodate in a timely manner all such requests.

Slinging tuneage like some fried or otherwise soused short-order cook

18 February 2024

Fab, Trip 18

 

Steve Cobby is The Solid Doctor. Like DJ Shadow who started off this journey, the Solid Doctor is one of the progenitors of Trip-hop. He formed the seminal Hull-based Trip-hop label Pork Recordings with his friend & fellow Hullster Dave Pork in 1991. 

 



Cobby now mainly releases under the names Fila Brazillia & Heights of Abraham, but early on he released numerous singles as The Solid Doctor. His blending of Dub, funk, hip-hop, & house drew critical attention & paved the way for such labels as Mo'Wax & Cup of Tea. The Solid Doctor's material finds a comfortable spot between the dancefloor & the Hi-Fi.

In 1995 Cobby released a two CD collection of his many singles. The Doctor sure knows his meds. He puts the Trip into the hip. 

 

Solid Doctor - How about Some Ether (Collected Works 93-95) 2xCD,
Pork Recordings, PORK 25, 1995.
decryption codes in comments


Cracked Emerald CD1 -   
U-Turn   
Short Wave   
Holy Roller
Spicey Pipe   
Anomie
Lights on the Vibe   
O Say Krevlon   
Pickyparkdickbods   
The Room is Breathing
Dusk   
When I'm Dead
Bye Bye   
I Love Life 

 

 

Sapphire CD2 -
Armed to the Teeth   
Jet Smooth   
Ether   
Invisible Sunlit Snow   
Cerulean Reverie   
Mixamatosis
Land of Dope & Tory
Ninety One Campion   
Tomato   
Slipping into Another Dimension   
A Moving Family of Suns

Enjoy the Trip,

5 comments:

  1. Cracked Emerald
    0l72x24jFnFJKocfmuem6_V4wL4IuKN0fnSVQIedeeU
    Sapphire
    XMPfZ2hO--PEddCYPii52nE4M1J9j42MAxBsp1xtP2Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to giving this a play. Fila Brazillia are a favourite of mine. "Beatless" was one of my top listens last year. Thank you NØ.
    MarkyD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we like a lot of the same music. You already asked about Pressure Drop which I have slated for April, now Fila Brazillia (a zed & two Ls) which I have a mega-post coming in March. Crazed minds think alike, I believe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't thank me, I'm just a lurking leech listening in to the vibrations around me!!! I think we cross on the Great Venn diagram of life on many things but I will always remain in the shadows, where I belong. Peace & Harmony bro.
      MarkyD

      Delete
    2. Too late. I already thanked you & I'm not taking it back. I think you underestimate the value I gain from folks like yourself who take the time to comment & create a bit of dialogue here.

      I share the music I share just for the sheer joy of sharing it. So many time people sez: "I never heard this before..." or "I haven't listened to this in years." & I feel so glad that I shared that particular tuneage.

      But the conversations I get to carry on (like this one) give more depth to what I do. There is a long list of followers here who comment about the music & give me ideas or just encouragement to share different things...ideas or encouragement that makes it easier to do what I do here. I am ever grateful for these dialogues & always try to express me pleasure & thanks.

      So you're stuck with the fact that the things you say help me do this blogging thing better than I could without. Thanks again, ya lurking leech.

      As the Whisperin' Squash sings:
      Back from the Shadows again !
      Out where an Injun's your friend!
      Where the veg'tables are green,
      And you can pee into the stream!
      Yes, we're back from the Shadows again!

      Delete